Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Liberated: Inspiration for those considering making the transition to natural

After I made the BIG CHOP over a year ago, because I did do it on a whim, I thought--"Oh, my God, what did I just do!" Yeah, yeah, in my previous blog (Why I Chose to Go Natural) I talked about how this transition was like a spiritual journey, out with the old; in with the new type thing. And, while all that is true, I panicked initially. It took me awhile to get used to this new journey. As I have mentiond before, I have been relaxer-free for a couple of years or so before deciding to chop off the rest of my damaged hair two summers ago.

Now, that I have gotten used to this change, I have to say it has been very challenging. I do not want to mislead any of you who are contemplating making this transition because it is a committment. It has taken a long time, AND, I am still trying new and different things to figure out which products are best for my hair. I did a lot of research. I learned my curl pattern, tried products that were supposedly good for my hair type, and learned that what was initially thought to be bad for my hair actually is ok. It is a lot to learn, but that is the beauty of this journey. As you learn, you find what is right for YOU! And, you may decide at a later time that what was right for you then may not be right for you now. That is ok! Remember it is a process. I have to admit I love the process. The process keeps me interested and it has given me the passion to learn all things natural, especially when it comes to my hair.

I feel like a child learning something new for the first time. Every time I read a product review about a new product, or shopped the ethnic haircare aisles at the local Wal-Mart and shamelessly bought something just because the bottle promised--in so many words--FREEDOM! FREEDOM from drying out my hair, FREEDOM from frizz,  FREEDOM from (essentially) never having to use another product again, and then later become disappointed that it did not deliver on its' promise. This was all cool though. I was learning, and anyone who knows my educational background, KNOWS I love to LEARN and love to TEACH what I know, and in this case-- teach what I have learned and learning.

Regardless of how many products I have tried, and there have been many. I do have some old stand-bys that always do the trick. Even if--wait for it--they are not the natural and organic products. I make a lot of home recipes with olive oil, eggs, honey, you name it, but when I do not have the time to experiment I use what works for the time being; always with the thought in mind that I have to live by what I promote. For the most part I do, but sometimes you have to make room for what is convenient. I always want to keep it 100...lol.

There is no question about it there is freedom in being natural. Yes, it is a lot of work, but I have never felt more LIBERATED in my entire life. The choice I made to go natural, once I got a clue, was all about me being who I am without the worry of what others thought of me.  There were people, mostly family who did not like the choice that I made. I almost felt pity for them because I instantly felt how paralyzing it must feel to think that we as women of color in our naturalness have to censor who we are just to make others feel comfortable. I admit that I have felt, whether it is true or not, that some people would overlook me because of my newly natural state. I found that I had to put myself out there to get recognized otherwise some people would look right past me. Like I said, I am not sure people are aware of what they do at times, or if I may have been a little uncomfortable in my own skin (in the beginning) and just thought this way.

Needless to say, I stuck to my guns and I remained faithful. Imagine the freedom in that! Now, when people see my hair; quite a bit longer than it was over a year ago, they compliment my wild curly curls, and they love the color. Yep, I had to add a little flair. Honestly, I would not care if they liked it or not. I am owning this. I am free, I am liberated!

No comments:

Post a Comment